|Project by RussJohnson||posted 03-18-2016 11:50 PM||611 views||0 times favorited||3 comments|
I have a British friend whom I owe for MCing my wedding. He has an impressive man cave and hopefully this bottle opener/cap catcher will do well there.
The first step was to cut up some padauk, maple, & walnut on the crosscut sled with some strategically angled boards screwed in to help me with the 22.5/67.5 degree angles. I normally like to use an incra miter gauge, because it is idiot proof, but it has a hard time with angles > 50.
I took the oversize pieces, slathered them in glue and positioned them together on a 3/8 inch plywood backing and shot nails in the outside edges to hold everything in place. I put a weight on the top of it and left it overnight. The next day I trimmed off the excess and the nails with my table saw to get something I could run though my planer without nicking the blades on the nails. I DO NOT recommend that you do it this way. I was disappointed on how the pieces fit together. I was able to make some shims and clean it up a bit, but it doesn’t look anywhere as tight as the glue ups that I’m used to from making cutting boards. It did look a bit better once the cherry trim was added to the boarder and padauk and walnut always look nice with a lacquer coating.
If I could do this again I would have used double sided duct tape to on the backing to keep the pieces from sliding during the glue up. Not entirely sure if that would work better. If anyone has experience on an easier way to do these types of glue ups I am open to suggestions.
I then built a base and a support arm. The arm is held in place with dominoes and glue, but the flag/opener has dominoes that it fits on, but no glue so it can be removed and wall-mounted if my friend prefers that set up.
For the magnetic cap catcher I used the magnet out of a harbor freight part’s bowl. That is the best/cheapest source for strong magnets that I have found and they work great in small projects (I’ve built a couple of sewing pin holders by prying out the magnet and epoxying it the base of a turned bowl and they work great – even through 1/4 inch of wood).