|Project by Dave Rutan||posted 03-12-2016 07:14 PM||713 views||0 times favorited||8 comments|
My daughter plays both the euphonium and the trombone. Each instrument has its own mouthpiece. After playing, the mouthpieces have to be washed. Until now she has been putting the newly washed mouthpieces on a wash cloth to dry. It occurred to me that there was something I could make for this.
I took a chunk of what I believe to be poplar and cut it into an ovalish shape and drilled 3 holes into it, but not all the way through. The center hole is larger and is for a handle, thinking this might want to be taken to where the mouthpieces are washed. The handle also gave me a place for a small hook where the cleaning brush can be hung.
the other two holes hold 1/4 inch dowels to keep the mouthpieces from falling off. Two sponge disks were cut using a hole saw so that the mouthpieces would have a cushion to res on which would also absorb any remaining water droplets.
I gave this to her last Christmas.
N.B. I didn’t make the knob on the handle. I found it in my knob drawer.
[Fun fact: the Esperanto word for mouthpiece is buŝpeco.]
-- Ni faru ion el ligno!