|Project by Manderson||posted 11-05-2009 07:38 PM||1730 views||1 time favorited||3 comments|
My wife really liked this desk at PB, so a re-engineered it with sketch up and starting making it. This was also my first attempt at re-engineering a piece.
Most of the material is veneered MDF, I had to create the edge veneer as 1.5 inch ash veneer is not commonly available.
There are 5 pieces – 3 tops which lay on 2 pedestals. The 2 pedestals are exact same carcasses, one is a filing cabinet and the other has a drawer a place for cd’s and a CPU which my wife uses sigh…for magazine storage.
It was my first time working with web frames further reduce weight i used lap joinery for the bottom of both the top and base.
The finish was difficult to figure out as I had to match it with the black chair she had bought at PB. Many of the stains dye’s either gave a blueish or purple hue…but i figured out how to get a true black like the chair. The PB was ebonized but you could still see the open pores. Finishing the desk took 3 days. I can post the finishing schedule if anyone requests.