|Project by robscastle||posted 03-05-2016 02:47 AM||1147 views||2 times favorited||14 comments|
Strange title? but sounds familar?...thats because its a direct steal of:- Boxguy ups his game, so whats the connection? well none really apart from the process used.
Al has a Marble drill specifically for making semi circular holes in timber for marbles.
It just happened I was making a large set of dominos at the same time and was about to drill the dimples or more correctly pips, whe Al posted his project.
Along with the post AL provided a link to another Project he did using the Rockler tool he has.
It was just what I needed to do my dominos so I set off in search of the item in Australia, non to be had anywhere.
So as the production of my dominos had halted pending the piping I decided to use a router bit on my Radial Arm Drill
No 2 Son had some spotted gum flooring installed and I “secured” a few off cuts with the intention of making “something”
I did a lot of planning on the location of the pips and the locations repeated on various numbers symetrical positioning and cosmetic appearances. You know all that sort of good stuff, one can never do too much planning right? (wrong more on this later)
I determined I had only enough material to make a “6” set only, that being 28 tiles, so I set to work.
Firstly the offcuts had been lying outside and had all gone dark due to weathering and tanin staining.
I was not overly concerned about this as I knew I would be sanding it all out (wrong thought again)
As I made the pips swapping tiles back and forth for the current drill setting I became more and more confused with my complicated drilling process and as a result drilled pips in locations which were not needed there.
No real problem I thought I will drill them out and plug them (you guessed it wrong again)
What I failed to realise the timbers had vastly dfferent natural colours see picture No 1
Attempting to use a plug from the rear was out of the question as it would have been a dead give away to the double six!
Using a router bit in my Radial Arm Drill was not the best way to do the pips either, as the backlash in my XY vice and overly complexity of a RAD added cumulitative errors which were very noticable in both the pip positionng and also the depth, again see photo one.
I then had a “brainwave” and thought my dremmel would fix the errors, (Oh here we go,... wrong yet again), it made them worse so I quit that idea fast, see the yellow pip.
Next to the yellow “crater” sits one of the supposedly “spare” blanks I planned for but had incorrectly drilled.
It was one of these pieces I attempted to turn into a double six, by plugging one hole.
Well you possibly think by now its a total bin job but I have asked my Son for some more off cuts to replace the “goofs” and fix the errors.
I painted all the pips in and then sanded all the tiles to 320 grit and applied citrus wax finish.
The center divider was simply cut with the table saw and the sharp edges rounded over.
Today I take No 3 son to the racetrack and upon arriving I see a tool shop so I go looking for the elusive marble drill, not here either but I do see a ball ended die grinder bit, so in frustration I bought it and returned home set up the test block and drilled six pips, and then took a look at it.
The pips were 100% improvement on finish but the backlash in the vice screw is still creating a problem as the dis positioning is very obvious.
Time of task to date is 2 days, maybe I should have gone to my friend Larry and with his CNC he could have done a perfect job whilst we had a cup of coffee!!
Well I can only say “Still Learning this WW craft” (The hard way Too)
Enjoy,...... and learn from my mistakes maybe !
-- Regards Robert