|Project by SeaFarin||posted 03-02-2016 04:58 PM||453 views||0 times favorited||3 comments|
I was asked by a coworker to take a look at her antique walnut table.
All glued joints were original and hanging on by a thread. The original leaves were missing and the previous owner created new leaves from plywood and did not align the guide pins.
So I carefully separated all glue joints, cleaned up and re-glued and clamped.
Replaced the very bad hand made slides with new and also created two new leaves black walnut from Iowa.
I was difficult to cleanup and realign the guide pins for all leaves to be interchangeable. I really enjoyed all the woodworker steps, but found it very challenging to match the finish on the new leaves!
Learned a lot from this project doing research about the amount restoration that should be done on antiques! There are a lot of opinions on how much you should “restore” and piece! I found encouragement to do as much as possible and I was also yelled at for even breaking any of the original glue joints! Of course I completely underestimated the amount and time required to complete this my liking. Way fun! Loved doing it! Not sure I will do it again.
-- I'm Chuck and I wood not chuck wood cause I keep finding uses for it!