|Project by Nwdesigns||posted 03-02-2016 03:46 PM||1255 views||1 time favorited||9 comments|
I’ve always liked the look of reclaimed lumber. It started in my wood flooring days where I would seek out flooring that had a past life as beams or siding on old barns to complete that special project for a customer.
I have purchased my fair share of reclaimed lumber and I am a proponent of companies that “harvest” lumber and re purpose it. I don’t however always have the time to wait for just the right product to be in stock, or don’t always have the money in the project budget for “the real thing”. So, since necessity is the mother of invention, I came up with my own way of achieving the look that I wanted.
Before going much further, I want to say that this process works for me and to my knowledge its a new process. I’m not here to take credit for someone else’s idea, so if someone has presented something like this before then the credit is certainly theirs. Also, I want to say that if you decide to try this on your own, then do so at your own risk as it could be potentially dangerous and cause harm. Now that all that is out of the way, here’s what I did:
I gathered up a few things from my shop and garage to include an old Makita 7” sander/polisher, an abrasive grinding wheel (that fits the 7” machine), an old cheap circular saw blade, and some Titebond Hipurformer hot melt adhesive.
First, I took the old blade and slightly bent one tooth. Non carbide blades will probably work better as the carbide tooth will likely fall off in the process. If that is the case, no worries just make sure that tooth is bent just slightly higher than the rest of them. Next I took the blade and glued it to the grinding wheel making sure that it was centered as close as possible. I used the Hi Purformer adhesive and if you’ve never used it, you will be amazed with its holding power. After the glue set, I installed the wheel and blade assembly to the tool and gave it a shot.
I found that the slower RPM, the better at least for me. I also ended up filing that tooth down just a bit so it didn’t have such a sharp point. I haven’t mastered this yet but used with other distressing techniques, it produces a nice look.