Curly Cherry and B/E Maple Chest

  • Advertise with us
Project by prime8 posted 10-31-2009 08:28 PM 2327 views 1 time favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch

I made this for my wife last week. I used scrap materiels, and the lid pieces were to short to do tenons. I went the easy route with pocket screws for the top. All the dovetails were cut by hand, and I resawed my own bids-eye maple veneer… If 1/4 inch stock can be called veneer. The stock is 7/8 thick to give it a look of mass. Everything came from rough sawn stock, left over from a false beam job I did a while back.

-- [\/\/\/\/\/]

6 comments so far

View a1Jim's profile


117061 posts in 3541 days

#1 posted 10-31-2009 08:54 PM

Nice wood and dovetails good looking overall

-- wood crafting & woodworking classes

View huff's profile


2828 posts in 3249 days

#2 posted 11-01-2009 02:49 AM

Love that birdseye maple in the top (nice touch). Nice tight dovetails.

-- John @

View Jim Crockett (USN Retired)'s profile

Jim Crockett (USN Retired)

852 posts in 3697 days

#3 posted 11-01-2009 03:21 AM

Very nice chest! The woods work very well together and the dovetails look great. Nice job!


-- A veteran is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including his/her life".

View RexMcKinnon's profile


2593 posts in 3159 days

#4 posted 11-01-2009 03:41 AM

Dovetails, birdseyes, how many birds died in the making of this chest LOL.

Nice work.

-- If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail!

View HarleySoftailDeuce's profile


320 posts in 3383 days

#5 posted 11-02-2009 02:25 PM

WOW…hand sawn dovetails. That takes real patience for sure. How did you finish the box? I’m making cherry face frames and raised panel doors and have not decided how to finish them.

-- Paul, Bristol,Rhode Island

View prime8's profile


42 posts in 3582 days

#6 posted 11-02-2009 10:57 PM

Thanks for all the nice comments fellas. The finish is something I learned from Charles Niels a-z video series. I used trace coats of honey amber dye to pull some yellow out of the grain. I left the last coat of honey amber after final sand, and topped with mission brown tinted shellac. 2 coats. seal coat 2 lb mixed with transtint dye. Topped off with 2 coats of wipe on poly.

-- [\/\/\/\/\/]

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics