LumberJocks

RENO COMPLETE Part 1

  • Advertise with us
Project by canadianchips posted 02-29-2016 05:44 PM 370 views 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch

The renos are completed.
Started Jan 10
House was built in 1971. Nothing had been done since. Kitchen cabinets were built from mahogany, Good framework, The owners did not want to spend money ! (usual thing). The main entry to house led directly into basement. Walls all around staircase, this split living room and kitchen in half. First removed the walls around staircase. Tried to get owners to move staircase to front door area. Once again. Did not want to spend money.
Built banister all around staircase. Put posts and beam on east side of staircase. Roof was truss rafters, I crawled into attic and found the wall I removed was NOT load bearing. (This was Good). In the living room I removed south wall paneling. Built and entire wall entertainment unit. Incorporated big screen TV, stereo, speakers, etc.
The unit was built with pine. I then distressed the entire unit. First painting grey, then black then sanded to get the old look they desired. The wall behind TV was covered with T&G pine, used same distressed method.
East wall had large picture window. Covered bottom 32” with T&G pine distressed,chair rail on top. owner painted remaining wall.Removed divider between front entrance and opened up living room. The closet in corner was finished off using BARN DOOR design. Once again distressed paint. Floor in living room, hallway and kitchen was covered with new flooring, each tile 1’x 2’ click interlock method.
In the kitchen. Cabinet footprint was not changed. I removed all doors, valence and hardware. Filled old handle holes, sanded cabinet doors then painted with stain block primer. 4 coats of linen kitchen cabinet (melamine finish) paint were used. Top coat of clear to harden finish. Inside house I also sanded stile and rail framework on cabinets. Same paint. Paint color “linen”. Doors covered nice, some of stiles on framework bled through ? Resanded and painted over . (Over all I was not happy with paint job, I am die hard RAL wood person) it was there house, their money.
Old kitchen counter top (arborite) was removed. Used heat gun and clothes iron. Came off not bad. I was able to purchase 5’x 12’ sheet formica. The new instal was 1 piece compared to 3 pieces of old one. Installing took awhile, lining up 12’ back and 4’6” side to square corner. Scribed the back before gluing, dry fitted few times. The counter went on much better than I expected. They did buy new sink. I had to recut hole. Sink was also deeper. Had to recut some framework under neath, luckiliy it worked.
Old ceiling was popcorn stipple. YELLOW from smoke. They purchased a oil based stain block primer. Then 2 top coats of oil base paint. Ceiling turned out very nice.(I was skeptical, primer took 3 times recommended amount. STUNK for couple days.)
The entire project took 6 weeks. I lived in basement, used his heated workshop.

-- "My mission in life - make everyone smile !"





1 comment so far

View Jim Jakosh's profile

Jim Jakosh

16571 posts in 2497 days


#1 posted 03-20-2016 04:28 AM

Great job on all that renovation. Really looks nice!!

Jim

-- Jim Jakosh.....Practical Wood Products...........Learn something new every day!! Variety is the Spice of Life!!

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com