|Project by Tappar||posted 02-29-2016 01:36 AM||629 views||0 times favorited||1 comment|
We can thank my butterfingers for this project. A while back I managed to shatter the wife’s old rock salt and pepper cellar. I figured a great christmas present would be a replacement for her.
To make this I cut up some 45” angles on redheart hardwood and then used dowel pins to affix some pieces of walnut making an octagon shape out of the wood. I smoothed all of the angels out to make it more organic looking on the belt sander. I used a drum sander attached to my drill press to get the insides a bit smoother. For the bottoms of the containers I cut a channel in the wood with a table saw for some 1/8 baltic birch plywood to rest in.
The major think I would change if I did a project like this again is how I tackled the lid pivot/hinge. In this design a nut is captive in the lid, so when it opens and closes it screws/unscrews the rod. I thought there would be enough movement for it to slide on the bottom bolt however this wasn’t the case. Its usable the way it is, it just gets a bit tight if you do it the ‘wrong’ way.
I wasn’t really sure what I was going to do with the lid, I used walnut so it would match the sides and a scroll saw to cut a lip out of the same material. I got some curly veneer to put as the base, then put the two halves together. I didn’t think there was quite enough interest so I added pieces of the scrap redheart and sealed it in with epoxy. After a bunch of sanding I used a high gloss wipe on poly to finish everything off with.
Thanks for taking the time to watch, enjoy!