|Project by Lazyman||posted 02-28-2016 12:05 AM||1438 views||5 times favorited||16 comments|
I made this beer tankard for my cousin. She wanted one that was made similar to a barrel so I cut staves out of white oak and glued them up with Titebond 3. I used TB3 because I wanted it to hold up to minor spills and cleaning (see my problem with glue up failure while turning posted in forum here: http://lumberjocks.com/topics/147890#reply-2478218).
I didn’t want to worry about which finish was beer safe or might taint the flavor of the beer (that would be bad) and I found a 16 oz stainless steel liner designed for a turned travel coffee mug and designed the mug around its dimensions. I made the staves a little longer than needed and parted it off to final length after shaping and hollowing to to fit the insert just in case I messed something up because this was my first real project turned on my lathe. The steel bands were scrounged from Home Depot. They are steel bands used to hold a load down on a pallet. Ironically, the only ones I could find made of steel came from a pallet of Jack Daniels whiskey barrels that were for sale in the garden section cut in half for planters. The bands were originally black so I sanded and polished them on my belt sander and then used pop rivets to join the ends and ground the rivets flat on the belt sander. Because the tankard is narrower at the top, the bands are pushed on tightly, though the handle also acts to lock them permanently in place.
Because I wanted this to be water resistant, I decided to try using a CA finish. 6 coats of CA turned out pretty nice though there are a few flaws that I didn’t notice until after I polished the finish. After applying the finish while mounted on the lathe, I scraped off the finish where the handle would be mounted, drilled 2 holes for dowels and mounted the handle with epoxy. I also applied 5 coats of the the CA finish to the handle The bottom of the tankard is also glued in with epoxy. Finally, the stainless steel insert was glued in place with epoxy as well.
This was great fun to make and I learned several new techniques in the process, including a little metal work and a new finishing technique.
-- Nathan, TX -- Hire the lazy man. He may not do as much work but that's because he will find a better way.