|Project by versa||posted 10-28-2009 03:28 PM||4434 views||11 times favorited||17 comments|
This is one of my first ‘real’ projects I did. I only used a miter saw, japanese flush cut saw, chisel, hammer, sandblaster, and sander to make it. Its made out of red oak that I payed way to much for, stained walnut. I hand cut the dovetails (first attempt), both for the sides and the hidden dovetails to start the top. For the Skull I bought a sandblaster and some resist paper, glued the paper to the project, printed out a picture and glued it to the resist, then used an exacto knife to cut away the resist prior to sand blasting it for an hour. I chiseled in all of the metal hardware, I really like the heavy rusted iron handles I got for the project, not too fond of the thin rusted hinges though as they bent. As I did not have a tablesaw I sanded the boards for the top so they would fit close enough before using putty to fill the gaps. Unfortunately, when I pounded in the nails for the black iron bands some of the putty broke up, causing the stain already applied to be uneven. I shellaced and waxed it for a finish.
Its got a few problems, but overall, as a learning tool I learned alot of new techniques making it and am happy with the results. I spent 3 months making this one, my next one took me 2 weeks.