|Project by revz||posted 02-27-2016 02:18 PM||302 views||0 times favorited||1 comment|
I made a tack trunk for my daughter some time ago out of maple. I wanted to make a sturdy toy trunk for my 10 year old son who is quite large and autistic. It needed some lasting power. I went with poplar. I pre-conditioned the wood three times and applied one coat of gel stain. I hated it. I applied a second coat. Hated it. So I was going to start over until my wife encouraged me to go for a weather looked. After a long conversation with a fella at Sherman Williams, I chose a very very dark stain that I applied over the existing brown and went for a weathered-antique look. My wife likes it so much that it’s now a piece of furniture in the den. I’ll make another one for my son. Lesson learned…poplar really is a pain in the butt to finish. I read all the horror stories, but in the end, I like how it turned out. Mostly biscuit joints. Three coats of poly. Gas struts. Heavy, but not as heavy as the Pennsylvania maple.
-- Robert, Reformed Woodworker