|Project by mummykicks||posted 02-27-2016 05:30 AM||874 views||0 times favorited||2 comments|
So I finally came to the point in a project where I needed a bigger clamp, and it was time to get something decent for a change. So I went off in search of four 50”, and four 24” Bessey clamps. First look around, find Amazon has a pack of 2 of the 50” for $110…ouch, Rockler etc.. were all in the same price range. Somehow stumbled onto HD website and they were $40 for the 50” and $34 for the 24”. $15/clamp cheaper. Went to the closest one and they had 2 of each. Next day went to another and the price was $5 or so more.
HD website refused to load on my phone, but luckily I had the receipt from the day before and got the same price.
Now I get these things home and am looking for a place to put these beasts. Had a couple of 3’ pieces of ply with laminate that were just the same as the throat of the clamps. Originally I was thinking of cutting slots like others on LJ have done, but my piece was too short, and I wasn’t feeling like getting out the tracksaw to cut another one from a sheet. Then I wondered if I could just put some dowels in there instead. Grabbed my dowelmax and looked at the hole spacing…hmm the 3/8” dowels wouldn’t work, but what about the 1/4”?. Turns out the spacing is perfect for the 1/4”.
Kreg jig works great as a clamp for this. I like the rockler clamp a lot better than the standard Kreg clamp. It was always loosening up on me, pia to adjust, etc.. The pin with a handle on it I got from Mcmaster, both 1/4” and 3/8” versions. Lot better than what comes with the dowelmax.
So a bunch of thumbscrewing later (it works but I think Jessem has improved upon the idea), some 1/4” dowels glued in 1” proud of the surface, and pocket screws every 4” or so to join the pieces and it was basically done. It is so rare that things work out like the dowel spacing on the dowelmax and the clamp size that it almost makes up for all the pain you normally have to go through to make something like this.
Anyway, it was pretty painless, used up some scrap, and got those clamps out of the way.