LumberJocks

Workbench and shop upgrades

  • Advertise with us
Project by mummykicks posted 02-27-2016 04:37 AM 1164 views 2 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch

Made some upgrades to the shop quite some time ago and thought I would post. I first built the miter bench with melamine shelving for the deck. I really wish I had used formica instead now that I’m comfortable laminating plywood with the stuff. It’s OK, but definitely not durable enough for what I really wanted. I then added more cabinets/shelving to hold the sander and provide outfeed for the bandsaw. Everything is at the same height so it comes in handy for stuff like cutting down the 4×8’s that I used to repair the rotted out beam ends on my house as seen in the pics.

I hard mounted the dust deputy to the top with a tube down to a 5 gallon bucket below. I ran 2” pvc (or was it 2-1/2”?) to the various tools and mounted a switch for the shopvac beside the miter. Now I just swap hoses depending upon what I need. Much easier at the dust deputy than at the shop vac. Works well and didn’t cost too much to do.

The bandsaw I enclosed with a plywood box and it keeps the dust down really well. I hardly ever change blades so access isn’t an issue for me. I added vertical drawers to the lower part of the workbench which work really, really well. I tool a whole wall of pegboard and crammed it into a really compact space. Now everything is right where I want it.
I used some old osb I had lying around cut it to fit the space, some scrap wood spacers to get the pegboard away from the surface enough so the peg hooks could go through. Double sided vertical ‘drawers’ like this really use up every available inch if you arrange things right.

I replaced the mdf top pieces on the bench which were all separate as some had started to bow up a bit and I also found the t-tracks being 3/4” below the surface was less than ideal. So I bought some laminate and contact cement and a sheet of maple plywood. Most the stuff I make is the red oak plywood from the borg, I thought the maple was a bit smoother but it is a lot softer. Screws didn’t seem to hold as well. Anyway, I routed out the t-track dado’s and screwed everything down to the bench. You can see the new top a bit on the pic with my measure/mark drawer out. Looks a lot like the standard T-track laminate table tops out there, except it’s 4’x8’ :-).

It’s a bit hard to see, but I also have a kreg jig bench deal that runs in front of the sander as well. I also built a router table that I’ll eventually finish and take pics.

I can’t say enough good things about the workbench. It just works so well for so many things. Ron really had some great ideas that work well in practice. The under top ‘storage’ compartments are great for the tools I use all the time (drills and such, clamps, t-track clamps) as well as stuff I don’t need often. The cutouts give you all kinds of places that let you clamp along the edges, and the t-tracks work like they should. I don’t have a table saw (makita tracksaw is what I use) and while I’m sure it would make some things faster, for the stuff I build the bench is a far better use of space.





3 comments so far

View jeff's profile

jeff

988 posts in 2925 days


#1 posted 02-27-2016 09:14 AM

Nice upgrades.

-- Jeff,Tucson,Az.

View a1Jim's profile

a1Jim

115202 posts in 3038 days


#2 posted 02-27-2016 02:49 PM

Nice work very cool Ideas.

-- http://artisticwoodstudio.com Custom furniture

View woodbutcherbynight's profile

woodbutcherbynight

2414 posts in 1869 days


#3 posted 02-28-2016 02:17 AM

Some very interesting ideas and applications here. Thanks for posting.

-- Live to tell the stories, they sound better that way.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com