|Project by dnick||posted 02-25-2016 06:20 AM||486 views||0 times favorited||5 comments|
I’ve been wanting to build this for as long as I can remember. I looked back at WS#125 which was close to what I envisioned. I was drawn to the case construction, and wanted to follow that. I wound up using some of the same details, chamfers & top & bottom frames & moldings. I just built for a specific space, & after many drawings found a drawer arrangement I liked. On the top chest each drawer row is 1” narrower than the one below it. Traditional, it’s not. No cathedral panels, full extension metal drawer slides & no dovetails ( I don’t enjoy making dovetails so I don’t ). The beading is mahogany. I used this combination on a frame & liked it. Used Cherrywood gel stain, my first time with gel stain. Should have practiced first. Plenty of screw-ups but I didn’t ruin it. Which reminds me, the larger the project, the more opportunities for mistakes. 3 coats of poly finish. This project took almost 2& half years to build. My wife of 44 years was injured & became ill during 13 months during this time, so I spent a lot more time helping her & doing the things she could no longer do. She passed away in April. I was unable to do much work for 7 months after but finally summoned the energy to finish it. I was building this for “us”, so this is a bittersweet success. The dresser really is not that orange, night & flash. The photo of the top is closer to the actual color. Used a jigsaw to rough cut the curved pieces on top & bottom. Have since bought a 14” bandsaw. I wish I had kept track of the time I spent designing & redesigning this before ever cutting wood. A long time.
-- dnick, North Hollywood, Ca.