|Project by bbasiaga||posted 02-22-2016 03:43 AM||786 views||1 time favorited||3 comments|
I was in woodcraft, and they had pallet of exotic wood cutoffs for something like $3/lb. I was anticipating hand chopping some mortises soon, and it became clear I could build my own mallet way cheaper than buying one of their pre-made models. So I grabbed a nice block of reddish wood and some purpleheart and decided to give it a go. I thought the red wood was Padauk, but I have worked with Padauk before and this is not it. Padauk cuts with a very fine dust and likes to ‘smoke’ a lot. This cut like normal wood. Maybe it Bubinga?
I patterned this off of the Shop Notes mallet, though I didn’t have the plans. I had just seen them made enough times before to guess at what to do. The center is Purpleheart, and I cut two pockets in it for some steel BBs. The handle is also purpleheart. The whole thing weighs in at just over 2lbs. I left one side flat for certain joining applications, and the other side has a 5degree angle on it. Seems to give a pretty true strike on the chisel handle for me.
Finish is danish oil. When it warms up, I will coat it with laquer. Give it a little more protection, but also gives me an excuse to try out my new Earlex sprayer.
It feels pretty good, perhaps because I made it. It cost me about $12 in wood, plus I have plenty left over for another small project, and a few hours of shop time. It was fun compared to furniture, because the gratification came much sooner.
Thanks for looking!
-- Part of engineering is to know when to put your calculator down and pick up your tools.