|Project by PoleVault||posted 02-21-2016 05:45 AM||896 views||3 times favorited||6 comments|
A couple walnut boards. Finished with mineral oil and beeswax.
The first one is 16” x 20” and 2.625” thick
The second one is 16” x 20” and 2” thick
I got brave and used my old Craftsman TS to cut the 8/4 walnut. I was afraid it wouldn’t have the power, but I used a 24 tooth ripping blade for the rip cuts and it powered through like butter and came off with great results, a quick hit with a hand plane and it was ready for glue up.
For the crosscut, I switched to an 80 tooth blade I just got back after sending it to be sharpened. I was really worried my saw would die with so many teeth, but I kept it moving nice and steady and had some burn marks. That sharp blade left the crosscut so smooth and almost no tear out too!
In the end, I was glad to give my old saw a good workout because I had been going to my buddy’s place to do the heavy work, but now I know my saw can handle more than I thought it could. I’m excited to build some furniture now… I just have to decide what we could use…
I used my homemade router sled to do the flattening. I was a little off on the setup for the first board and ended up having to take off a bit more to correct my mistake. That’s why the 2” board came out to 2” (it should have been about 2.25”. A fairly costly mistake! I think I need to get a larger router bit for the flattening as the 3/4” bit felt like it took forever.
By the time I got to the second board, the flattening went super easy and I really liked the result.
I used the ROS to clean up the marks after flattening, which I will never do again… I should have taken it to my buddy with a drum sander like I did with my first end grain board. But it was a great learning experience.
They aren’t perfect, but gave me an excuse for using my newly purchased parallel clamps (50% off at Woodcraft was too tempting).
I finished the glue-up and flattening before Christmas, but then life got in the way and I had to set them aside for a few weeks. Finally got around to sanding them at the beginning of February. Now, they are on their way to Arizona… Hopefully they don’t blow up with the change in humidity!