|Project by dustyal||posted 1722 days ago||1433 views||4 times favorited||11 comments|
My dear wife says she said “Cherry.”
I heard “Canary.”
So, we have a Twitty Bird Yellow shaker style table.
This is a product of the Mason Dixon Woodworker’s workshops on a couple of Saturdays this month. I’ll talk LJ’ers Karson or Ed into posting more about the workshop itself. (gentlemen, are you listening?)
Actually my daughter claimed rights to this table very quickly. Now my wife has spec’d out her own version for me to build.
Poplar. 29” tall; 22” square top. Canary yellow water base aniline dye—my first attempt at using dye. Three coats of wipe on poly. Late addition of a drawer with hand cut dovetails on four corners and apron used as false front. No knob on drawer as a “delete” option from the claimee. A hidden drawer…?
Legs taper from 1.5” to 1” on inside faces. 4” aprons mortise and tenon joints. Top is biscuit glue up. A little dip in the center came about some point in the process. I think I know why after reading an article. Didn’t alternate clamps, too much pressure, jointed surface not perfect, etc. But, acceptable…
Photo 4: Please note the plan… a very professional detailed blueprint drawn by Ed. The plan kept everyone on the same page and that made it all possible. Keeping six of us on track in one shop building tables isn’t all that easy. We machined at the workshop and brought our homework home for fine tuning and glue ups.
Photo 5: The table was square and flat to the floor on the first try… no re-do’s. Thank you very much!
Photo 6: The claimee immediately noticed the detail beading on the bottom edge of the aprons. She was excited about that. Hardly noticeable in the photo… but the beading was hand cut with a beading plane provided by Ed. I kept shavings for a souvenir—a highly rewarding experience to include Ed showing me how to use it. I posted a review of the cutting mat that the table is sitting on. It helped to do the layout and glue up. I used some red tape to help eyeball that parts were straight as I installed the top with Z brackets in slots running along the backside of the aprons.
I’ll continue to praise the gentlemen of the MDWW org. Pat volunteered his shop and carried out at least four barrels of wood shavings from all the jointing and planning we did. It is real nice to work in a shop that will hold that many woodworkers all running equipment simultaneously. Okay, Karson had to show up and do his table in some exotic burl wood… couldn’t do poplar like the rest of us… LOL… One day I’ll get to the point of trying some really nice wood, but actually, I was very pleased with the way the poplar and the yellow dye turned out. Table looks better than the photos.
-- Al H. - small shop, small projects...