LumberJocks

Sora's Keyblade for GF.

  • Advertise with us
Project by Rayne posted 02-21-2016 12:48 AM 615 views 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch

Hello world. It’s been a while since I posted a project as I needed time to refresh and get over some personal ordeals. My first project back is Sora’s Keyblade I made for my GF. I’ve never made a prop before but the logistics of it seemed doable at the time with a few minor setbacks as you’ll see. It turned out FAR better than I anticipated under such a short deadline (2 weeks total not knowing exactly all the details of how this would go together to completely finishing it with Enamel to give it a hard coating. Let me know what you guys think.

Creating templates so I can make more in the future if need be.

Laying template out on dowel to determine length. I used a slightly thinner dowel than some of the other youtube videos used due to weight and needing it to be light for my GF to use easily and freely.

Partial disaster on the router table using a trim bit. Whatever wood this it (poplar I believe), it broke in the corner as I was finishing it…made me mad

2nd handle also broke…I gave up for the night after hearing the loud “POP”.

99% success on the key. Miniscule corner piece broke, but not enough to affect the look.

Used Pine and that trimmed very well with the template.

Layout to see how it will look. Not bad.

Drilling the holes for in the handle to attach to the dowel. Worked quite well until I realized the handles on the keyblade are angled in, so I had to trim both handles before I drilled the holes since they wouldn’t be straight anymore.

Drilled holes into the dowel. V-groove holder in the drill press worked great for this.

Drilled holes into the key. Not as perfect as I wanted, but it worked.

Used spindle sander to create groove so the handles would sit flush to the rod. You can also see the lines and recess in the rod. I did this in a table saw using a lot of various stop blocks and spinning the rod. The larger groove was created using a dado blade. This worked extremely well. And no, I don’t have a lathe.

Everything is on. Looking Good!

Don’t have photos, but I created little semi-circle pieces to go over the handle and the dowel like the real keyblade.
I then used a lot of wood filler to fill in all the gaps. That took about 4 layers, especially the key part.

Round piece to act as a surface area for the chain hook to go on.

Created a spray booth just for this. This worked great! Saving this for future work.

Several layers of primer, sanding, primer, sanding. etc. Not perfect as I was nearing the deadline, but more than adequate.

3 coast of silver to give it that metallic look.

3 coast of yellow on the handle. This went on very well.

2 coats of the blue color on the hilt.

Time for mickey. Fun to cut out and round.

Primer and silver.

Full reveal after removing all the painters tape. Loved it.

Used Tennis overgrip to wrap the handle and taped with electrical tape. Worked far better than I thought it would and is extremely comfortable.

Finished piece with the correct length chain.





1 comment so far

View CO_Goose's profile

CO_Goose

120 posts in 1256 days


#1 posted 02-21-2016 04:26 AM

Very nice. My son Played Kingdom Hearts for years, until he went to college… Brings back memories. Love the paint job, Good work!

-- Just making sawdust

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com