|Project by FlWoodRat||posted 10-21-2009 04:38 AM||3285 views||8 times favorited||14 comments|
First off, I want to send a big THANK YOU to Rick Waters at The Sawdust Chronicles for two things… #1. Encouraging woodworkers to build something that benefits our communities, and #2. Hosting the 60 Day Build Challenge. I also want to thank Tommy McDonald at Major Leauge Wood Working , (MLWWoodworking.com) for his encouragement and technical guidance.
Now for the story…....
Late this summer I saw a reference to Rick’s TSDC 60 Day Build on Tommy’s website and I thought… woohoo, a chance to win a set of Rockler’s “Bench Cookies” and do something good for my community. I contacted Rick and got the details of the contest, then submitted my entry. I managed to get it built a couple of weeks early and on time for my work’s United Way Fund Raising Campaign. I gave them a few pictures and they ran with it. Monday they gave me ONE THOUSAND raffle tickets to sell at $5 each and 30 days to get them sold. My goal is to sell them all in two weeks.
Ok, so here is how it was built:
Post/Rails/Muntins/Lid/Panels are hard maple (8/4 for the leg posts and 6/4 for everything else)
The bottom is a plywood sandwich (3/4 Maple faced, poplar cored and 1/4” aromatic cedar)
Boiled Linseed oil with Japan Dryer added (3 coats)
Hock, Blonde De-Waxed Shellac (3 coats of 1# cut, 1 coat of 1/2” cut)
General Finishes Arm-R-Seal (2 coats)
All frame joints are Doweled Mortise and Tenon
After rough cutting, all the stock was machine jointed and planed and allowed to aclimate. Then I hand planed the stock to final thickness. Following that I used card scrapers to smooth out any mill marks.
I used my home made tenon jig to cut all the tenons and to rough cut the raised panels. The final 1/8” was cut off the bevel faces with an old Stanley #78 hand plane. That too was followed by smoothing with a card scraper.
After a few test assemblies with multiple panel arrangements, I settled on the final layout. With the case apart, I prepared the stock for finishing by wetting it all with Demineralized water followed by 320 wet/dry sanding. This was done 3 times to remove all the grain fuzz.
Next I applied 2 coats of BLO to the panels, rubbed them out and allowed them to dry. After the assembly was glued up I applied a total of 3 coats of BLO to all the interior and exterior surfaces. This was followed by the multiple coats of shellac and Arm-R-Seal. All in all, I have about 150 to 200 hours of work in it.
Thanks for your view and your comments.
-- I love the smell of sawdust in the morning....