|Project by Peter Brown||posted 02-16-2016 10:26 PM||820 views||0 times favorited||6 comments|
So back in 2015 I made Batman Spatula, http://lumberjocks.com/projects/134034 and it was a fun project. At the time I had planned to make a Deadpool one on my CNC but my CNC broke down and the project died along with it.
Since I recently bought a scroll saw and needed a first project, I decided to revive Wade and give it a go.
I started with three pieces of hardwood. Hard maple, black walnut and bloodwood. I planed then down on my thickness planer to just over 1/4 thick.
Next I drew up a design I liked with the Deadpool logo and some sword handles. Printed it out three times adhered it to the wood with spray adhesive. Since the maple piece would be the back and didn’t have any inside cuts I used my band saw for the cuts
Next I covered the other two pieces with packing tape, which I’ve been told helps to lubricate the scroll saw blade while cutting. After that I chucked a 1/16” twist bit in my drill press and made holes for the inside cut outs.
This is my first scroll saw project, it was hard for me but woodworking is not a gift, it is a skill, and skills come from doing. The more you use a tool the better you will become! (fingers crossed)
After all the pieces where cut, they didn’t fit perfectly, but with a little bit of sanding here and there I was able to coax the two half faces into the bloodwood logo.
After that I was time to glue the logo and one sword half down the maple backer piece. I took special care not to get any squeeze out into the eyes or sword diamonds!
Now on to the spatula. I picked this up from my local dollar store. Freeing the handle from the blade is as easy as knocking out the aluminum pins with a awl and hammer. After that I take it to my bench grinder and remove all the excess from the outside. Then I use my Dremel with a cut off wheel to remove the inside portions. This way once it is epoxied in place, it will not be visible in the diamond cutouts.
Once it is epoxied in place, it will not be visible in the diamond cutouts.
After the epoxy cured I clean up the face on the belt sander and leveled out any areas that were out of plane.
Right off the sander it is actually looking quite well! Still I would recommend sanding it by hand up to 400 grit or so. This only took about 45 minutes and it is well worth the effort.
For a finish I went with three coats of a water based wipe on poly. That or a lacquer is a good choice for anything that will end up in a kitchen drawer!
Thanks for looking!
-- Peter Brown - Collector of WD-40 and wood splinters