|Project by Mark||posted 02-15-2016 11:07 PM||714 views||0 times favorited||5 comments|
Last week I posted a picture of a vessel I was turning, caught an edge and cracked it in 2 places. My thanks to all that responded with all the excellent tips and suggestions. So first I glued & clamped the piece. I used Titebond 3 as it is more viscous (so it should penetrate the cracks better) and has a longer working time. Next morning Using a Dremel and a very fine bit, I followed both crack lines, cutting maybe 1/64 deep. I filled the 2 troughs a bit at a time with copper filings and a dab of CA glue. after a coule of hrs. I was able to file the fillings flush to the vessel surface. Then I sanded the entire project. 2 coats of Min Wax Teak Oil and a waxing when the poly has set. Turned out ok.
Could be a bit thinner on the walls.
NJJoe, if your reading this. I tried the key cuttings on another small bowl with a void. I think I need a bit more prctice with the epoxy. The key cuttings are also contaminated with aluminum. I got my copper from an old piece of pipe I’ve been filling. Quite a bit finer as well.
OSUSS. I was cutting high on the inside about 1” from the top hole using a Robert Sorby Multi tip hollowing tool. The scraper blade I had attached was a bit aggressive and I think I lost focus for a second, that’s all it takes.
Thank again folks