|Project by MsDebbieP||posted 1609 days ago||1892 views||0 times favorited||30 comments|
(First: sorry about the photo quality. Early morning and I guess my eyes were still blurry. I’ll try again later for better pix)
The second piece was a big “oops” in the drill press. (Sorry wood).
The third piece was a big “oops” on the lathe and a chunk came off the one end. At first I was disappointed that I had messed up the blank. Then I was frustrated at the difficulties I was having with the pen-turning process. And then .. I remembered that this was very special wood and to waste it was just wrong. I just had to honour the wood by trying to salvage the pen.
I didn’t know how to save this other than to throw some wood filler in it and so that is what I did. Afraid of a second failure with this beautiful piece of wood, the blank has sat on the shelf since July. But yesterday, I bit the bullet, and put the blank back on the lathe.
As the pen blank was originally turned and ready for sanding, I just had to start at this step, with the fix job.
I sanded it, put some stain on the wood filler (hoping that it would help it blend in with the pen better) and then polished it up.
It wasn’t too bad – as long as I didn’t look at the spot where the fix was. The next step was to decide where to place the fix. Trying a number of positions I opted for the “at the end of the clip” spot. yes, it is now being pointed out but when laying on its side the beautiful markings of the wood shows rather than “the spot”.
This pen won’t be going anywhere, but I’ll enjoy using it and am pleased that the little piece of special wood wasn’t tossed out.
-- ~ Debbie, Canada (https://www.facebook.com/DebbiePribeleENJOConsultant)