|Project by JetDriver||posted 02-15-2016 02:57 PM||1119 views||3 times favorited||5 comments|
So about a year ago my wife suggested that perhaps I should build a toy box for our then 1 year old twins. Since I’d never really built anything like that a starter project of some kind seemed in order as a way to make mistakes and learn lessons that could be applied to the toy box. I’d gotten a set of 4 Home Depot brand Pneumatic Nail guns for Christmas (at $49 for the set it was hard to go to terribly wrong) I thought building a wooden storage box for the guns would be a good project. I started with the cardboard box they had come in as a template and then during the design phase I figured I would add a drawer to store nails and the like. Between being an airline pilot, a homeowner, and a dad to young twins time in the shop was very hard to come by which is why it took so long to finish.
The box itself is 1/2” plywood that has been butt jointed and then glued and nailed (lesson 1 with stain you can’t hide nails). To create the slots for the dividers (which are 1/4” pine plywood) I just made 2 passes down the table saw essentially using my regular blade as a dado. I did have to do some filing later but overall that method worked pretty well for me.
Since I wanted to try and hide the end grains I made the lid with mitered corners and since this was a learning project it gave me a chance to try something else. The drawer was originally going to be butt joints but after doing some reading I decided on a dado and rabbit joint which I again made with my table saw and my normal blade. This took some trial and error but overall I think it worked out well.
The notch in the dividers was cut with my jigsaw (which I incidentally just got for Christmas) and the little removable shelf the pin nailer sits on is 1/4” ply that was glued and pin nailed together.
When I started the project I had an old Black and Decker table saw that the previous owner of our house had sold me for $40. The fence was total junk requiring me to measure constantly from two points to get it straight and even then it was hard to lock down square. Between that and my inexperience those early cuts ended up leaving something to be desired. About halfway though I was able to buy a Craftsmen Professional Series job site saw for $60 off Craig’s list and then sold my old one for $40. It’s no Cabinet saw but it at least has a fence that will lock down square to the blade.
I learned a ton of lessons along the way but overall I’m thrilled with how it turned out and very proud of it especially as a first effort.