|Project by Mark Wilson||posted 02-14-2016 02:21 AM||1031 views||1 time favorited||29 comments|
This is the first thing I’ve actually finished in more than two weeks. I spent the better part of four days on it.
What a sorry disappointment you turned out to be.
Doesn’t say much about you, does it? You certainly keep company with me a lot.
I made a couple of videos, while making this piece. Then I decided that I’d just Post the finished Thing, rather than trying to drag my Beloved Buddies through the swamp of my mind.
This is the log, mounted on the wormscrew. It’s ten or eleven inches long, and varies three to four inches in diameter. It’s a majpr Cuttus Interruptus.
With a view towards making a round-bottomed bowl, or dish, if you will, I brought the sides up carefully, using, mostly, my 1/2” round-nose scraper, skewed about forty-five degrees left. I also used my 1/2” roughing gouge, to good effect. During this rough turning process, I experienced a catch that ripped the wormscrew, along with its threads, right out of the log. I mounted it on the face plate, and brought about an outer shape that I liked.
I never intended to keep the bark on this piece. Cape Chestnut has a really thick bark that comes off easily. Sometimes, it has to be convinced with a fichisel, as was the case with one side (the other having popped of in turning.) When I fichiselled the bark off this side, I slightly damaged the wood underneath.
This had the effect of causing me to redesign the outer shape.
Then, altering it some more, I landed on the shape I had originally gone in intending.
I sanded and polished the outside and made a recess for my pin jaws.
Having colored it up with a light wash of blue and white Acrylic paint, I topped it with about fourteen coats of WOP, and flipped it around to work on the inside.
This is what I was up against.
This is what happened the second time it came off the pin jaws.
I managed to bore a deeper recess and finished it.
Thanks for coming.