|Project by TheDane||posted 10-14-2009 03:54 AM||2474 views||1 time favorited||9 comments|
I’m cheap, which means I pretty much hate to throw anything away, including scraps left over from test cuts. Hence this ‘project’.
I was working on teaching myself to hand-cut dovetails, so I cut up some pine left over from another project and started cutting/chopping. I finally got four acceptable dovetail joints when my wife happened into the shop and complimented me on the ‘storage box’ I was making for her sewing room.
I couldn’t disappoint her, so I cut some grooves, scrounged up some salvaged plywood for a bottom, did some planing, glued it up, sanded it, hit it with a couple of coats of poly and voila! The added bonus is the next load I haul to the landfill will be a tiny bit lighter!
To give credit where credit is due, I made a set of Charles Neil’s ‘Smart-Tails’ (http://www.antiquesbuiltdaily.com/smart-tails.pdf) and they really were a big help!
-- Gerry -- "I don't plan to ever really grow up ... I'm just going to learn how to act in public!"