|Project by aaronmolloy||posted 10-12-2009 01:55 PM||1443 views||0 times favorited||8 comments|
I started this project a week ago and got it finished last friday. I wanted to make a piece for my bedroom as it will be finished in the next few weeks and I wanted to put my mark on it.The usual place I get my timber from has no machinest anymore so they redirect me to a local joinery. Thanks to this I now get all my timber from them because I get the exact size timber I want at a resonable price.
I started by cutting the legs out for this project and used my router to cut the mortises. The tennons were then cut and I joined them together. I used titebond 2 woodglue for the mortise and tennon joints.
For the top I got double sided sellotape and put the two out pieces together and cut them on the mitre saw. I bought a 80Tooth blade for my saw to get quality cuts on the mitres. I joined the mitres with glue and used my pocket hole jig on them aswell. The day after I had the top on the bench along with the offcuts from the mitre. I was playing around with these offcuts inside the frame and I came up with the layout for the inside on the frame and it just came together from there on. I then finished it off by joining the top to the frame with pocket hole screws I then sanded it down with different grades of sand paper and gave it a coat of teak oil and to top it all off I waxed the top of it.
-- A. Molloy