|Project by kayakguy||posted 1531 days ago||1203 views||1 time favorited||5 comments|
This is my wife’s grandmother’s old piano. When we received it, it had been exposed to the weather for years, there were rats nests in it, the finish was completely destroyed, and was generally in sad shape. Surprisingly enough it still played great. We decided that even though it would have very little monetary value, even if restored, it did have great sentimental value.
I found an old two volume set of books on Piano restoration in the library. The first task, was to determine if the mechanicals were in good enough shape. A quick check through the restoration books chapter on evaluating old pianos confirmed that it was ok.
Then came months of finish stripping, sanding, patching, some veneer replacement, staining and lacquering. Finally this weekend, we wheeled the finished piano info the house. My Wife has been “tinkling the ivories” all weekend since moving it in.
We are both please with how the project turned out. And learned a whole lot more about lacquering than I ever wanted to learn.
-- -- No animals were harmed in the posting of this entry, although the terrier next door is living on borrowed time, let me tell you.