Eight Ellipse Box

  • Advertise with us
Project by Roger Gaborski posted 02-08-2016 04:15 PM 1460 views 4 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch

This is my latest box with an ‘organic’ theme. I used segments to construct the base of the box. The box is walnut and cherry finished with one coat of shellac and three coats of hand rubbed poly. For those of you interested in the actual construction of the box I’ve created a Flickr album.
Flickr Eight Ellipse Album


-- Roger Gaborski,

8 comments so far

View Ken90712's profile


17527 posts in 3028 days

#1 posted 02-08-2016 04:32 PM

That is great, love the design and pics on flkr Thx for sharing.

-- Ken, "Everyday above ground is a good day!"

View oldnovice's profile


6433 posts in 3207 days

#2 posted 02-08-2016 04:43 PM

Another beauty Roger!
Very informative construction photos, I need to try that!

-- "I never met a board I didn't like!"

View Muriel's profile


89 posts in 2532 days

#3 posted 02-09-2016 07:57 AM

Very nice job Roger !
It looks so “simple” ... but a lot of work behind the scene to get such a perfect result. Congratulations !

-- Muriel, Belgium

View Roger's profile


20874 posts in 2643 days

#4 posted 02-09-2016 11:51 AM

Very stunning Roger. Thnx for the link as well.

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Keep your dust collector fed.

View WoodNSawdust's profile


1417 posts in 1016 days

#5 posted 02-09-2016 12:46 PM

Great box. Thanks for the pictures.

-- "I love it when a plan comes together" John "Hannibal" Smith

View helluvawreck's profile (online now)


29205 posts in 2706 days

#6 posted 02-09-2016 02:18 PM

Roger, this is a real beauty.

helluvawreck aka Charles

-- If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away. Henry David Thoreau

View ken_c's profile


322 posts in 3001 days

#7 posted 02-09-2016 04:38 PM

came out nice – No lathe work right? All with a router?

View Roger Gaborski's profile

Roger Gaborski

243 posts in 3587 days

#8 posted 02-09-2016 11:45 PM

Yes, the cutting was done on the CNC machine. One problem I had with the CNC approach for the bottom part of the box was sanding the cylinder. When I did a similar project on the lathe it was straight forward to sand the cylinder on the lathe. Taking the CNC approach required me to cut a hole in the bottom of the box and attach a bolt and sand the cylinder on a drill press. It worked out well, but I would be interested in hearing from others on how they would approach the sanding problem.

To cut the segments I built a Wedgie segment sled “link here: ”:
The sled worked well.

Thanks for all your remarks.


-- Roger Gaborski,

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics