|Project by rweitz||posted 02-07-2016 05:12 AM||879 views||5 times favorited||7 comments|
Ok these were from LAST Christmas, and yes I’m WAY BEHIND in my postings and I actually used TWO blades in my single blade jig, and yes these are more PALLET wood projects.
Anyway, shout out to Bearpaw and SASmith for their info and advice on making palm boxes and all the other LumberJock posters who’s work I reviewed on boxes as well as all the folks who’ve posted stuff on their single blade box jigs. Without all of your fine help these gifts never would have been made! THANKS!
So I got a bunch more pallet wood milled down at my bro-in-law’s house with his planer and used my TS and my jointer jig to finish it off then got to work on making a single blade jig.
I did not want to use my TS blade, I do have a dado blade set so I set up this jig to use the two 1/8” blades from that set as my “single” blade. It gives me a clean bottom cut and only takes two passes per joint, speeding up the construction.
Since I used a std 1/4” “blade” had to make some spacers slightly larger, but was able to use an old 1/4” drill bit for the guide pin. Although I did find that of the 4 old twist drill bits I had they all were just SLIGHTLY different sizes and only one was perfect to my “blade”. The jig I built has several mod to it from all the builds I saw, the handle in the back. the clamp in the front, I think I added the cross bar in the front myself to hold the pcs together since mine is more like a mini-sled than most of the designs I saw. My TS has nasty groves so little things don’t slide that well on it.
One problem i have with my old Crapsman saw is that I only have about 2” cut height so with a 6” dado set I only barely can to 1/2” stock with this jig. I’ll have to get an 8” dado set to box cut thicker stock, or just do rabbets on the edges so I’m only left with 1/2” joints to box cut
On the boxes I used a slightly new twist for the pins as well. I drilled my holes with the lids clamped to the boxes (see ugly makeshift table I made to drill in these longer than my table top drill press would do) and then cut the brass pins to length, and used pliers to crimp ridges in one end, see pics. I used a drill bit and hand twisted a bit of extra material out of the lid, then pressed in the pin part way with the lid in place.
Next I put some CA glue with a longer set time on the ridged end of the pin and drove it home. It seemed to glue the pin in place so I could sand it smooth and flush, but leaving the lid freely swinging on the pin due to the enlarged hole in the lid.
My lids are chamfered on the inner edge to slide into a centered position when closed, leaving an even gap all around. for the most part. in theory. Wood is wood. and I am me—> :(
Still working on drilling the pin holes in the perfect spot to get a built in stop. Some of these had to be “adjusted” to work properly before the gift giving, others worked fine.
Anyway a lot to cover in this post, made 12 boxes for the loved ones and everyone loved them.
If you have any questions shoot me a msg. Thanks for looking.
-- You cannot build a reputation on what you are going to do. - Henry Ford