|Project by Richforever||posted 10-06-2009 04:50 AM||4464 views||4 times favorited||8 comments|
Needing a stand for my drill press, I experimented with joints and finishes. Most joints are mortise and tenon. Drawer boxes are dovetailed. I cut the draw pulls rather than buying them. 2×4’s are the main pieces (there were some in the corner of the garage).
The project became more complicated – making side pieces so the drawers go in only straight; putting in pieces to keep the drawers from tipping when pulled out a long way. Adding stops in the back to align the fronts with the carcass. Experimenting with edge banding the top.
Finish is another experiment. The draw fronts are rosewood stained pine with a gloss polycrylic topcoat. The case is natural minwax oil with varathane top coat. The edge banding is rosewood stained hemlock with varathane topcoat. Amber shellac is interesting in the drawer boxes, but I’d use clear shellac next time.
Overall size is about 26” high, 13” wide, and 25” deep.
With the drill press I can make holes for euro style hinges so I can eventually make my kitchen cabinets. That’s the plan. This helped in figuring out what I need to do in the kitchen, plus I got another tool!
-- Rich, Seattle, WA