|Project by robscastle||posted 02-05-2016 01:25 AM||645 views||1 time favorited||8 comments|
In May 2012 I made a similar box for No 2 Son & Wife celebrating the arrival of their first daughter Cailtin.
In Feb 2014 their second daughter Emily arrived, and it seems she spotted the box and asked her Dad for one as well.
I had no construction notes on how I made it so asked for it back but due to time constraints this was impossible.
So the second box was constructed from some vague photos, Lesson learned there and I made a detailed construction document this time.
Timber is Paulownia
The Inlay Banding I made from Purpleheart and Tassy Oak squares with Silky Oak edging
The hinge is a wooden dowell
The Finish is Special Danish Oil
The Glue used was TitebondIII
Height 125mm x width 135mm x depth 185mm
I cut three pieces of timber and glued them together, then using a table saw and bandsaw sectioned everything, removed the internal core and then minus the lid glued everything back together again.
Fitted the lid and drilled a 6mm hole straight through the box, and fitted a dowell as a hinge pivot, used a forstner bit and recessed the hole and fitted plugs.
Milled the inlay banding recesses and fitted the banding, then used a veneer saw to cut open the lid at the front.
Routed a radius all over and sanded to finish working up to 320 Grit
The lettering was done using MS word art, glued the printed image on the wood and cut out with the bandsaw and used a drill file on the internals of the B, glued then on and then radiused the letters on the sander
Applied Special Danish Oil.
........now I could not possibly depart without fessing up to one monumential screw up I did.
I glued the left and right sides on in reverse and had to start all over again! (see picture 6) and if interested see my blog and the problem and fix.
-- Regards Robert