|Project by littlecope||posted 10-06-2009 02:06 AM||1853 views||5 times favorited||24 comments|
...about what I would make with the Rosewood?
As some of you might recall, David, our very own beloved Patron, was kind enough to make a gift to me of some wonderful Rosewood.
Not wanting to waste any of this precious wood, and after long and careful thought, I decided to make two boxes out of it. This one is the first. He had sawn it in book matched fashion, and I wanted to use at least some of that effect.
I did not try anything new or different with the box construction! No way was I going to try something cute that might cost me the Wood…
For the panels, I used some very old Oak that had been collecting dust in the cellar of my Parent’s house. It’s very likely that it has been more then 100 years since this wood bore leaves.
This much took about 9-10 hours, over two days. I had a heck of a time seeing the pencil marks on the dark areas of the wood, ended up putting a reading lamp behind the scroll saw so I could see the “shine” of the lead. I’ve since learned that a little tape would have helped, i.e., marking the lines on the tape. Ah well, next box…
Next was the hinges. I wanted to make a heavier barrel, with a larger pin, this time, but still have fairly thin straps. It took two tries but I finally came up with these:
I own no books on the subject, subscribe to no magazines, have seldom watched any Wood workers on TV, and yet this is my favorite part of Wood Working, the development of an idea, the translation of a thought into reality…And this was a regular science project, at least for me! I cut the hinges out of leftover Oak from the Flag Boxes that I made. Twenty or so holes drilled, with four different size drills, from two sides of the scraps, then scroll sawing from two sides and finally having the desired shapes fall out!
The end result, was that the hinges took nearly as long to make as the Box!! After that was just a “simple” finishing job…
I tried a semi gloss wipe-on polyurethane for the first time, but after four coats it wasn’t even close to the snap and crackle I was looking for. So I topped all six sides with spray-on gloss poly. All told, five days of “simple” finishing…
And there you have it! Another fun build!!
Many thanks, once again, to David for the Rosewood and to my Dad for the Oak!! And I still have a second box to build… :)
-- Mike in Concord, NH---Unpleasant tasks are simply worthy challenges to improve skills.