|Project by Jerry||posted 01-30-2016 08:43 PM||1596 views||10 times favorited||44 comments|
I finished up a Mahogany and Brass T-Square today that I’ve been working on for a couple of days.
I first resawed the mahogany into 1/8” thick strips, then reversed their direction every other one, then glued them back together to make a laminate in order to prevent movement.
Then I bound the blade and head edges with 1/8”thick brass.
I used my Starrett try square to align it before fixing the head to the blade, the positioning stayed true through the initial glue up and then I pinned the head with 5 brass pins, so it’s accurate to within .001 over 22 inches.
Finished with two coats of Sam Maloof Poly/Oil finish and a final coat of Sam Maloof Oil/Wax finish.
-- There are good ships and there are wood ships, the ships that sail the sea, but the best ships are friendships and may they always be. http://geraldlhunsucker.com/