|Project by jsheaney||posted 09-29-2009 07:40 AM||5850 views||13 times favorited||10 comments|
This granite trivet is inspired by Zelbar. I helped a friend move into a new house that had brand new granite counters. I happened to see a couple of boxes of of the tiles and it brought to mind his granite trivets. I thought it would make a nice housewarming gift to make one using the same granite tile already in the kitchen. It’s a guaranteed match.
The wood is yellowheart, cherry and ebony. i needed 6/4 stock for the frame and didn’t have any, so I had to glue up two 3/4 pieces. There was no way to match the grain, so I decided to use two different species. After I cut the bevel, I ran the seam over my thin kerf tablesaw blade and added the ebony inlay over the seam.
The granite tile started out 12” square, which I thought was too big, so I had it cut down to 9”. It wasn’t really perfectly square, though, so tweaked the miters with a shooting board. I pretty much always do that anyway. I just ballpark the miters on my tablesaw and then finish them with a shooting board.
I typically just chamfer the bottoms of my boxes, but as this will generally have hot things on it, I wanted to make sure it was easy to pick up. After the miters were cut, I could mark out the width of the feet. I taped two opposing sides together (bottom to bottom). Then I drilled the ends of the waste with a 1/2” forstner bit, locating the brad point at the seam between the two sides. That defined the 1/4” radius feet after I pulled the two sides apart.
I really don’t like using the router table because I’ve had it rip workpieces to shreds. By this point, I had a fair amount of effort invested in these four side pieces. That’s really why I used the forstner bit to define the feet. But I didn’t see any other reasonable way to hog out the waste between the two feet. So here’s how I managed to do it without any tearout.
First, I set the fence slightly too far back, which would cut a bit too deep. Then I double-stick taped three or four layers of business cards to the bottoms of the feet, so it would cut too shallow. I ran the sides with the feet up against the fence with a 1/4” straight bit just slightly above the table. It was just enough to show me where the cut went. I then removed business cards from each foot until the cut went as close to the depth as I dared on each end. I then ran a bunch of passes, raising the bit slightly each time until I was confident I wasn’t going to get any tearout. Finally, I raised the bit all the way and made a series of passes shaving off 1/8” or so of material sort of freehand until the feet were touching the fence and I was done. It actually went very well and I don’t think I’ll be so nervous about using the router table in the future.
The other new thing for me was attaching the granite to the wood. I’ve never used stone before. Zelbar said he just use regular epoxy without any trouble, but that has a published heat tolerance of only about 150F. I found an epoxy called JB Weld at an auto parts store that is used on engine blocks and is good up to 600F. I dovetailed in a cross piece between two sides and that was the main glue surface for the granite. I put some at strategic points around the rabbet too, but I used it sparingly because I didn’t want any squeeze out where it could be visible. The stuff looks like it would be nasty to clean up.
I finished it with five coats of Bush oil before I laid in the tile, so applying the epoxy neatly was a bit nerve wracking.
-- Disappointment is an empty box full of expectation.