|Project by RootandBranch||posted 01-22-2016 06:47 PM||611 views||0 times favorited||4 comments|
Volunteered to make a new podium. Turns out, there was one available to me that I could refurb. I thought, great, most of the work is done, all I need do is clean it up some. How hard could it be? As it turned out, I bit off about all I could chew and if I had to do it over again, I would start from scratch. Haven’t had much time the past couple of months to do anything fun in the shop so what little time I did have, got sucked into this project from hell.
The podium starter-kit had been standing in 4” of water for a time, and then left to sit in a storage facility with very little air circulation. It was funky. It had many coats of polyurethane that had yellowed and crazed badly and was originally WAY overbuilt. Triage amounted to cutting off the submerged section and any funky parts. Pulled off all the splintered trim, the top deck, bottom and shelf and replacing them with lighter materials and replacing the rusted casters. Anyway, I turned that old heavy as heck beast into this newer not quite as heavy beast. Stained maple faces, Texas Hickory trim and emblem and spalted maple Texas medallions on the sides. Still need to add a microphone gooseneck. Should last some time.