|Project by CM02WS6||posted 01-19-2016 02:49 PM||1918 views||6 times favorited||9 comments|
Just finished my first “real” workbench. This has been a project that stayed on the back burner for a while, until I was foolish and put a chisel into my thumb in August. That incident taught me a lot, but it also highlighted that having a solid workbench with a vice would also help me work safer. My previous workbench was just a piece of MDF on a simple 2×4 frame, so this is a major step up.
This isn’t the fanciest workbench out there, but it meets the requirements I set. Besides being solid and having a vice, I wanted to keep the joinery simple so I used screws (Spax Powerlags) and dado grooves. I also wanted drawers, but needed to keep them high enough so that I would be able to sit at the bench and not hit my thighs on them. This meant that the drawers would have to mount directly under the surface, and there would only be room for one stretcher down the middle.
The base is made from Red Birch. There’s not very much information out there on it, so I think it probably is known by a different name, but it was pretty good to work with. I paid like $3.25/bf for 8/4, so it was the cheapest hardwood I could get in 8/4. Some of the areas also have quite a bit of curl, which you can see in some of the legs. The top was purchased from Ikea. It is 1-1/8” thick Beech I would have liked thicker, so I added some support on the longer overhang on the vice end. I couldn’t beat the $90 I paid for it, let alone all the work it would have taken to make my own top. Besides, I could always replace it if needed.
I’m really liking it so far. The vice and stability really came in handy when I was scraping some plywood edging yesterday. I may add some casters on a flip-down mechanism, but I need to get working on some projects for my wife now!