|Project by Tappar||posted 01-17-2016 02:35 PM||675 views||1 time favorited||2 comments|
Sometimes you end up with your father’s tools, and you feel like you should return them in better shape than when you borrowed them 10+ years ago. To that end, let’s do a few upgrades to the ol’ Stanley.
I made this hammer handle and also a 5lb sledge out of the same piece of discarded Koa wood from a batch I found in Hawaii outside of a guys workshop. Check out the sister hammer here: https://youtu.be/3fn7rfQ_uz4
Originally I welded the tabs onto the hammer head for a screw through the handle, hence the holes. Eventually I decided screws would detract from the look and that the epoxy should be able to hold the head in place just fine on its own so I welded them shut.
I also went down a dead end of trying to copper plate the head. I got a good thick coating on it, however no matter how well I cleaned or scuffed the surface I couldn’t get it to really stick well. I wanted it to be usable, so a fragile surface finish wasn’t in the cards.