|Project by exsubsailor||posted 01-17-2016 03:48 AM||1416 views||14 times favorited||16 comments|
I saw a picture of this jewelry chest in an old woodworking magazine one day, and the uniqueness of the piece made me want to try it. From the small pic, with no other info other than the piece was 5” high, using dividers I found the ratio was 45% of the total hight for the top, leaving 55% of the hight for the legs. I also determined the case to be about 27” square. I added some of my own touches and this is what I ended up with. The art deco lines on the front doors were done with a m d f template as a guide for the router. On each line there is a little more curve. I sanded down the template a little to get a little more pronounced curve for each progressive line, and flipped the template over to do the other door after each line was routed. The small circles are done on the drill press, first, center punching where they should be located. The routed lines and drilled holes were then filled with a product called “wisper wood”, which comes in different wood colors. I filled the recesses a little at a time so I didn’t have to worry about shrinkage. After 5-6 years, still fine. The leg ends and drawers fronts are maple and band sawed a little concave with quilted maple veneer fronts and half circle drew pulls. The chest and legs are mahogany with pomelee sapele (not sure of the spelling)veneer on the case. It was a challenge but turned out better than I had hoped.
-- Art, Florida