|Project by John M||posted 09-21-2009 02:21 AM||3051 views||10 times favorited||20 comments|
This is a gift for my step-sister’s wedding coming up on October 3rd. The box could be used for anything I suppose but I intended it to contain three 4×6 photo albums for the wedding photos that don’t get bound into a wedding book or hung on the wall.
This is my first attempt at an “Andy” type art box. And I would just like to say before I go any further: Andy’s work was not only the inspiration for this type of box but Andy was also good enough to give me tremendous support and encouragement as I stumbled through some very new (to me) techniques. Thank you once again Andy… you’ve got me even more hooked on box making than before and have given new life and purpose to my angle grinder! ; )
For those of you who have not seen Andy’s excellent tutorial, please see it here. It is a wealth of information.
I was not able to shape the lid as much as I would have liked as the lid stock was not thick enough (they only had 1/2” maple in stock) but I am happy with it nonetheless. The frame around the medallion was as the result of a little mistake I made while trying to route out the spot for the medallion. That is one technique that I will be focusing on mastering but I’m happy with how the fix came out.
The wood is walnut and curly maple with spalted birch for the medallion. The lift tab is a piece of spalted ash that I had kicking around from another project.
The shaping was done with an angle grinder with first a 50 and then a 120 grit sanding disc. I used chalk to mark the outline of what I wanted before I started grinding. That helped a LOT.
The finish is sprayed lacquer (4 coats) which I then rubbed down with steel wool and finished off with two coats of paste wax buffed up to a nice sheen. In addition to Andy’s blog and help… I can say that THIS BOOK was perhaps one of the best resources I had to guiding my finishing of this project. I highly recommend it!!
The bottom of the box I lined with self adhesive black felt.
I originally planned on using barrel hinges for the lid but due to the thickness of the lid as well as a need to cover up another small mistake, I switched to the piano hinge. I also added a small chain to stop the lid from going back too far.
I printed out and traced the words on the computer, traced them on to the under side of the lid with graphite paper and then used a wood burning iron to burn them in for a personal touch.
I finished it off with my brand ( one of my favourite birthday gifts ever!) for another personal touch.
Thanks once again to Andy for all the support.
Thanks for looking!!!
-- John, Ontario, Canada