|Project by CedarFreakCarl||posted 07-31-2007 06:36 AM||4412 views||3 times favorited||21 comments|
After reading over the rules, I took off the week of the 4th of July and started work on what I thought would be a great project. I was going to use some 120 year old heart pine from my great grandfather’s old store and make a coffee table. I worked about 3 or 4 days and then for some reason went back and read the rules again. To my dismay, that big old “G” word jumped out at me slapped me down. What I had started could not be made without glue.
Soooooo, after a few days of being digusted I snapped out of it and decided to build an outdoor rustic bench. I had seen one advertised in a magazine and figured I had enough time to do one. After seeing the “Stickley” table in one of the wood working magazines I had noticed that part of the project involved making round stock out of square stock. So, I made a bigger jig using the same general principles for the table saw w/dado in order to shape some round tenons from square stock. (I’ll put the details in my blog in a few days.) I had a bunch of 8/4 cypress laying around so I figured to use that. I used split tenons with heart pine wedges to hold the legs to the seat and used the same construction methods for the legs and braces. To my amazement I finished it in about 2 days.
I still had a couple of weeks till the due date for the project, so I said “what the heck” I’ll build a table to go with it. It took two or three days to come up with a workable design. Little did I know this was a lot more time consuming than the bench. I used hand cut mortises with wedged through tenons for the top and the rest of it pretty much followed the methods used for the bench base.
After cutting the stock to length, I drilled the round mortises with my cordless electric drill. I had drilled a “fitting board” with different size holes so that when I milled the round tenons they would be the right size. After dry fitting it all together with square stock, I got out my grandad’s old draw knife and shaped the legs, supports and sides to give them the hand hewn look. I also used a mortising chisel and a rasp file to help shape also. I then put it all back together, got it as square as possible and started driving wedges into the split tenons. I then sawed off most of the tenons flush and sanded them down.
While I had applied 3 coats of tung oil to the bench, I didn’t have enough time to finish the table. I’ll do that in the aforesaid blog. I’ve got lots of pictures. I also didn’t have time to set this thing out in my garden area and take a shot of it. Guess you can see that in the blog also. I hope you like it even though it’s not completely finished. Thanks, Carl.
-- Carl Rast, Pelion, SC