|Project by Rb12||posted 01-11-2016 02:06 PM||870 views||3 times favorited||7 comments|
This turned out to be a lot more involved than I thought it would be and was really an exercise in patience.
I made two roses, a lily, two daylilies, and a sunflower. The pedals are thin pine shavings taken off a 2×4 scrap. I tried a number of species but only the pine was grain-less enough to not shred when I tried to manipulate the shavings. The stems are cedar that I carved and then fumed with ammonia. I did do some cedar leaves to transition between the flower and the stem as can be seen on the various lilies, the cedar worked well so long as the leaves weren’t very wide. The center of the daisy is yellow heart that I sanded to shape and used a small gouge to pock it. The middle of the daylily is cherry with walnut at the end. I did small thorns on the roses too, which don’t show up well (actually these pics don’t do them justice, everyone I have shown these two has been pretty impressed). They are very delicate though.
Finish was just spray shellac. I glued everything with crazy glue so I got a fast setup… which worked great so long as I didn’t get any on my finger because removing my finger usually meant shredding the pedal ;-)
Thanks to LJ MightyWood for the design idea: http://lumberjocks.com/projects/166834