|Project by ColoradoMtn||posted 01-11-2016 04:46 AM||684 views||1 time favorited||1 comment|
Here is another mallet project, this one made from 2 scrap pieces; Oak head with thermal treated ash handle.
My goal was to add another mallet to my tools from “salvaged” materials. The oak piece was from a pallet used to hold 500 pound metal coil. The handle was actually turned on a lathe, but had a crack & was repaired with glue.
This tool is only 2 pieces.
I used a chop saw, chisel, mallet, screw gun, rasp & sandpaper to cut out the head.
I also used a chisel & rasp to shape the handle so it would fit in the head.
Because I did such a poor job on cutting out the mallet, I covered the head/handle transition with a piece of leather and labeled it with the wood species.
Twine lace added a different look to hang it up.
After I burned in the Japanese Kanji for “to make something new” I finished it with boiled linseed oil.
The color contrast is stark and quite different from my other mallets.