|Project by RKW||posted 09-14-2009 04:35 PM||1972 views||1 time favorited||4 comments|
This is my first chess board and i am fairly pleased with the results. I have not figured out what to do about the chess pieces (quality pieces are more expensive than i originally thought). originally the inside was going to consist of compartments for each piece and during the building process i decided to simplify it a bit. I plan on flocking the inside(color of flock i want is on back order) I also plan on adding a lid support but i havnt got around to it.
I used a frame and pannel bit set to construct the lid, my box joint jig to join the sides, and the bottom is a piece of hardboard that fits into a rabbet i made on the side pieces. I applied two coats of formby’s tung oil and two coats of spray poly.
The chess board is made of walnut and hard maple, the trim around the chess board is maple and the frame is walnut. The box sides are walnut and maple.