|Project by SDAdmiral||posted 01-06-2016 02:22 AM||1121 views||2 times favorited||6 comments|
This Christmas gift was a nice change of pace from the larger projects that I have been working on recently (crib and bed). All of the material was left over from those projects, so the pattern just kind of emerged from what I had to work with.
A cavity was exposed on the maple after cutting the end-grain slices, so i filled it with epoxy prior to flattening the surface. I don’t have a drum sander, so I did the bulk of the flattening with a router sled. My sled leaves small ridges for some reason, so I took care of those with a block plane before sanding.
The board is 16” x 12”. I routed a cove on the sides to make it easier to pick up, and some rubber feet keep it from sliding around. I always counter-sink the rubber feet with the thought that doing so will make the feet stay on better. The finish is three coats of General Finishes Salad Bowl Finish.
-- - Andrew -