|Project by David705||posted 01-05-2016 08:25 PM||707 views||7 times favorited||5 comments|
Jewelry Cabinet i made for my wife.
Its African Mahogany dyed with a water based dye of brown mahogany and a few other reds and brown that I mixed until I liked the look. Then pour filled with a dyed black pour filler. HVLP lacquer finish that was wet sanded and buffed. Drawers and dowels for bracelets and accents are maple. Interior was spray flocked.
Fun project, but took a long time to buff out the finish. My wife wanted it to hang from the wall to keep the foot print as small as possible. So I used a french cleat system to attach it to the wall because this thing was seriously heavy once completed and I didn’t want it falling off the wall in the middle of the night.
Cut the coves for the mirror frame on the table saw, then used reinforced miters on the corners that I then ran a three inch screw into which was plugged with mahogany. That was one of the major design challenges. I wanted mitered corners but they had to hold the weight of the frame and a mirror etc without blowing apart.
I have been doing “real” wood working for a few years now but this was my most challenging project to date. It has its errors here and there like everything else but I learned a lot in the process and am pretty proud of this one.