|Project by KeepOnLearnin||posted 01-05-2016 04:05 PM||1209 views||6 times favorited||4 comments|
Thanks to Thepps posting his Landscape Lighting Lanterns project, I made a few for my house. Just got tired of replacing those cheap (expensive!) fixtures found in big box stores every year or so. Besides, I need to build up some buildin’ skills. Other than using LEDs, I pretty much stuck to the original plans from Woodsmith #141.
Pressure-treated 4×4 post and cap with Cedar stain. Cedar for the lanterns treated with several coats of Seafin, then a few coats of semi-gloss poly. A friend gave me some copper post toppers that I wasn’t going to use, but I made the mistake of using a different source for the PT cap on one of them. It did not match the colors at all after staining, so the copper caps came in handy.
I put the first one on a pole behind the patio fence just so I could see how it looks. The lady decreed that it shall stay there – so shall it be. Made three more for the front sidewalk (pic shows two of them plus one of the broken commercial lights). I also had to stop in the middle of that project to plant flags in the yard for aerating. Figured I’d bury the wires afterwards.
Sorry I didn’t get pics during the build, but this was my first dive into anything as intricate as these and I just wanted to get ‘em done. Only now she wants to put more in the back yard. Leaves me wondering if I’ll ever get around to making a workbench.
-- Mark - Keep-On-Learnin' :)