|Project by whope||posted 01-04-2016 12:45 PM||1428 views||11 times favorited||8 comments|
This summer I decided to make chopsticks for Christmas / Chinese New Year. There was an article in Woodcraft magazine, June 2013, I think. I planned on making around 100 pairs, I skipped the rests as that would have been a lot of Wenge (the same as the top end).
The bottom ends were half tiger Maple and half birdseye Maple. The splines Bloodwood.
It didn’t look terribly hard.
But it was harder than I first thought. The saw blade depth had to be exact. In some of the blanks it was. Others, not so much. A bit of bloodwood sawdust mixed with glue worked out fine for those that were a tad too deep (after ripping the blanks). Each blank made 7 sticks.
The tedious part was the sanding to shape. I could get about 8-9 pairs done per hour. After about an hour, the fingers were sore from the edges and gloves don’t allow enough control. I have about about 9 more pairs to do.
It was interesting to watch the grain patterns appear/disappear when shaping.
Final sanding and finshing took about a week for those I needed to complete.
I had other projects to do, so I ended up only finishing the bare minmum I needed for Christmas (22 pair). Some of my friends will be getting theirs late or they are going to get them for Chinese New Year anyway.
They were extremely popular gifts and some of my GF cousins were a bit disappointed that they didn’t get a set. So I will be doing more if I don’t have enough extra.
NOTE: If you give gifts to your Asian friends, make sure it’s not 4 of something as that is considered very bad luck. So most of my sets are 5 pairs.
I ended up needing to get a new table saw blade and a belt sander.
May end up making rests out of something else.
-- Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with chalk, cut it with an axe.