|Project by Dr_T||posted 01-01-2016 05:25 PM||704 views||1 time favorited||8 comments|
This piece was a commissioned project for a coworker. It will be Christmas present for a family member. I knew that I would not be able to get it done before Christmas, but the client was OK with presenting a stand-in and giving the completed project when it was finished.
The pattern was from Judy Gale Roberts, and I used it at full size. The white pieces are Ash, light and dark brown are Cedar, and the jersey numbers are Padauk. The finish is spray lacquer.
I had not used Ash or Padauk before this project, but both worked very well. The Padauk was a very hard wood similar in working characteristics to Walnut, but took a very nice finish once it was cut. I was surprised at the difference in hardness between the Ash and the Cedar, with the Ash being significantly harder and denser than the cedar.
I took a bit of a different approach to shaping this project. Typically I shape the pieces individually, and then assemble them. In this case, I glued all of the segments that needed the same shape together first, and then shaped them as one piece. This approach had several advantages, namely much smoother transitions between pieces, and automatic filling of joints with sawdust.
Photo 1: The finished piece. Note – all photos that include the base piece have been slightly edited as the client requested a scrollwork name on this portion of the piece.
Photo 2: Everything except the white pieces laid out on the boards. I did not have a piece of white board that was wide enough for this project when I started. The Ash that I found turned out very well and I enjoyed working with it.
Photo 3: Some of the interiors of the scrollwork letters. I was surprised that I was able to remove many of these basically intact.
Photo 4: Residue of working the Padauk. Looks like I spilled some chili seasoning on my workbench. :)
Photo 5: All of the pieces cut and assembled to check the fit.
Photo 6: Almost all of the pattern pieces have been removed. This is the first time since the pieces were laid out on the boards that I could see if I got the colors and grains the way that I wanted them.