|Project by bobasaurus||posted 09-08-2009 06:50 AM||14763 views||6 times favorited||12 comments|
This wooden computer case was my first “real” woodworking project that I made a few years back. I was a complete novice at the time and had next to no tools. All I really had to work with was a cheap drill, an ancient jigsaw (that overheated easily), a coping saw, a flex shaft grinder (that my Father used for jewelry making), and a tiny finishing sander. I somehow cobbled it all together, and I think the result is nice to look at for the minimal skill level involved.
It is made of 1/4” baltic birch plywood, basswood framing/supports, and figured quarter-sawn sapele veneer. I attached the veneer with contact cement and large heavy books for a press, which didn’t really work at all. Thus, there are a few bubbles and imperfections in the final product. Both sides are hinged for access to the interior, with threaded inserts and machine screws holding it together. I finished it with several coats of Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane (high gloss).
The computer I built into the case is mostly spare parts from other builds I had done, along with a few ordered parts. The case and CPU fans I bought with very quiet noise ratings so that the wood case wouldn’t conduct the sound as badly. I installed Mythbuntu on it to record TV like a TiVo. Overall, it works pretty well, though I rarely find anything worth recording on TV.
Making this project was my first real exposure to woodworking, and started the unending spiral of tool buying and project making.
Here are bigger versions of the pics:
There was even a slideshow on treehugger.com that showed my project:
-- Allen, Colorado (Instagram @bobasaurus_woodworking)